[Cob] materials for strength

Damon Howell dhowell at pickensprogress.com
Thu Oct 7 08:19:29 CDT 2010

There's the key paragraph. The materials are locally-available, plus
they didn't mention the comparison to fired bricks. True
sustainability is taking from the very land, preferably from the very
spot the house will be. Here's a great example of sustainable
building. I have a lot of woods, many trees die and just stand there.
I cut them into 10" logs and use them for cordwood. I'm not killing
trees, they have already died, I'm just cleaning up. Instead of going
to Home Depot for concrete to go between the wood, I dig up my local
soil and add grass from a local field and water from the creek. I
mean, if you're not using directly from "your" land, then it's not
sustainable.
Damon in Ga.

"The bricks are environmentally-friendly
in that they are composed of sustainable, non-toxic,
locally-available materials, and don?t require the expenditure of
energy that goes into the firing of other types of bricks ? it
wasn?t mentioned, incidentally, how their strength compared to that
of fired bricks." - Frank Hanlan