[Cob] Haiti ideas

Joseph Kennedy livingearth62 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 15 18:14:38 CST 2010

Hi all,

Can't help but plug in here.  These are my ideas for Haiti:

Design for drainage (raised platforms built with rubble, swales, french drains etc.)

Urbanite or rubble foundations (maybe rubble-bag) but the bags degrade quickly in sunlight, and I don't trust the capacity for plastering sufficiently.

Flexible wall system.  quincha sounds good - the trick is the lack of available tensile members: ideas: bamboo, scabbed together pieces of wood, old rebar, bundled small sticks, reeds, etc. (using poly twine).  Infill: straw-wattle, cob, etc. (or something lighter for visual privacy for the time being - it is a tropical climate after all)

Roof:  This is to me the biggest issue.  A good roof sans walls is much better than the reverse:  Pallet trusses, micro-concrete tile production, domes? (my gut says no), recycled sheet metal tiles.  Small rooms with minimal spans.

I would avoid: straw-bale, unreinforced masonry, anarchic-misunderstanding-dogoodery

All-earthbag walls could work, but to me are overkill, and the plastering issue is major.

Gernot Minke has some good ideas.  Check also the work of Development Workshop.

I dealt with some of these issues in my book Building Without Borders as well (New Society)

Those are my thoughts.

Best,

Joe Kennedy