[Cob] Cob Bale Construction

Henry Raduazo raduazo at cox.net
Sun Dec 5 16:11:56 CST 2010

I helped to build a cob/bale hybrid in Wales I build an hybrid shed
in Clarindon a few miles north of Washington, DC and Ianto has built
several cob/bale structures in Coquille, OR. So far as I know none of
these structures has had any problems.
	Ianto builds his bale and cob walls at the same time working the cob
into the face of the bale as he goes. I used my bales as a temporary
lode bearing wall. The roof was connected to the ground by diagonal
braces during construction of the cob wall. When the cob wall was
completed I removed the braces. Cob became the permanent support.
	I did have one incident of the cob falling away from the bale when I
built too fast and too wet. Note here, that I am making very wet cob
with a tiller, and I tried setting more than a foot in a day.  For
the most part this was a weekend project so there was at least one
week of drying between batches. I might have had more of a shrinking
problem if I built faster. I believe the falling away problem could
be eliminated by providing dead man anchors on the back side of the
bale to the front side of the cob during construction.
	If you want pictures I can send them, but not through the Cob List.
You have to send a separate request. It should be noted too that the
cob/bale hybrids in Coquille are made from cut bales. You start with
a two string bale, clamp it in a press made of 2"x4" studs and
restring it to make it into a 4 string bale. Then you cut the four
string bale in half to make two thin bales 10-12 inches thick.. If
you laminate this with a 12 inch thick cob wall you have a wall
thickness of only two feet and plenty of strength to support any roof
assuming you have decent quality cob.
	Cutting the bales is best done with a Wood Miser or other big band
saw if you have one, but it can also be done with a chain saw. That
is how Ianto does it.

Ed