[Cob] Exterior finishes for insulated cob

Sky Orndoff skyorndoff at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 8 19:24:15 CST 2011

Hi!

I'm thinking about making a cob building in Montana.  I'm thinking cob because I
like the sculpting and the thermal mass.  Because it will be in Montana, and
because I'm an energy auditor who believes in insulation more than thermal mass,
I'm interested in insulating it thickly, probably with a shredded cellulose.  I
think I'll use wood 1.5"x12"s to frame a cellulose wall onto the outside of the
cob. We have a lot of dead and dying trees that are being logged already and can
be delivered to a friends sawmill for free.  I'll probably put cellulose between
the boards about 24" OC.  What I would like advice on is an appropriate exterior
cladding or siding or exterior coating for the celulose insulated wall.  I want
to do a floorplan with curved walls, keeping the walls vertical, so the cladding
will have to be flexible in one direction.  What would people advise for this?
Something with sand-clay?  Some type of product?  Suggestions for other
solutions than the one I'm thinking of now?

Thanks for your consideration,

JS Orndoff