[Cob] the importance of grade...?

Mike Fliss aspiringbodhisattva at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 17:59:18 CST 2011

Hi there!

I live in NC, where I've recently got approvals to build a 12x12 cob
"workshop."  However, I'd love to set up a loft (which, sadly, will have
to be a retrofit since inspections won't allow it), which means I'd love
to have just a foot or two of more head height in key areas.  Rather
than go up, that got me thinking about going down - doing a foot or two
below grade would more than do for the design I have in mind.  I'm at
the point in digging the foundation and trenching where I've got to make
my final decisions about floor height.  But, perhaps obviously, I'm
concerned about building a covered swimming pool, even with adequate
trenching and tail drainage.  Does anyone have any thoughts or
experience with this?

peace,mike

PS: Also, if you're curious, I'm aiming for something like this:
https://docs.google.com/drawings/edit?id=1Qm9jkYK--LGgSmrYN7nQ41Ux4Rdw5cmMJzVcn2lcQdY&authkey=CLn_usQF&hl=en
<https://docs.google.com/drawings/edit?id=1Qm9jkYK--LGgSmrYN7nQ41Ux4Rdw5cmMJzVcn2lcQdY&authkey=CLn_usQF&hl=en>

--
Mike Dolan Fliss
aspiringbodhisattva at gmail.com
| http://www.brightroots.org |
| tech&  infrastructure support for nonprofits and small biz |
-------------------
"The greatest achievement is selflessness.
The greatest worth is self-mastery.
The greatest quality is seeking to serve others.
The greatest precept is continual awareness.
The greatest medicine is the emptiness of everything.
The greatest action is not conforming with the worlds ways.
The greatest magic is transmuting the passions.
The greatest generosity is non-attachment.
The greatest goodness is a peaceful mind.
The greatest patience is humility.
The greatest effort is not concerned with results.
The greatest meditation is a mind that lets go.
The greatest wisdom is seeing through appearances."
~Atisha

"Most of the luxuries, and many of the so-called comforts of life,
are not only not indispensable, but positive hindrances
to the elevation of mankind. With respect to luxuries and comforts,
the wisest have even lived a more simple and meagre life than the poor."
~Henry David Thoreau