[Cob] Replacing Siding

Stephen Karrington Sales at diamondcard.us
Wed Feb 9 14:12:36 CST 2011

Hello,

I need to replace the old panel siding on a home. I was thinking about
this possibility.

1. Add a new layer of insulation around the entire house over the old
panel siding.

2. Tack on a firm metal meshing on top of the insulation board.

3. Mud directly on top of the metal mesh which should hold the mud in
place.

Any comments on this plan or suggestions on what I can do? The idea is
to put another layer of insulation around the house since now would be
the time. It can't hurt. And what goes on top of that should be fairly
strong and sturdy as the winds can gust 80 MPH or more sometimes down
the foothills and the house makes all sorts of noises when that happens.

The house is in Colorado where its pretty cold in winter and hot in summer.

An alternative is to use fiber cement boards. The cost for that is about
$18-$20k according to one estimate. Which I think is expensive.

Thanks.