[Cob] Coblist Digest, Vol 9, Issue 74

Damon Howell dhowell at pickensprogress.com
Fri Jun 10 14:53:10 CDT 2011

On Jun 10, 2011, at 3:00 PM, coblist-request at deatech.com wrote:

> the problem with that we have found is that the post expand and
> contract in the wall and crack the cob/plaster over the posts.
	Seems like you possibly didn't have enough cob around the posts to
"absorb" the cracks?

> I prefer to educated the building inspectors to the hundred of
> years old houses, in say Devon and Cornwall in England, with no
> posts in their walls and if that is not an example of duribility
> heaven alone knows what is.

	I prefer that method too, but what I've heard is very technical talk
to throw owner/builders off their game. They don't want 'what ifs',
they want numbers from certified tests (and after 4.5 years of
looking I still haven't come up with any REAL answers to their
questions). Thank goodness Janet has come up with numbers on
compression strength, which I'd love to have a spec sheet that comes
from the lab. Even the pamphlet from Devon Earth Builders Association
that guides cob builders to meet codes; although it has technical
data it puts all responsibility on the officials and around here they
don't know what they're looking at when they see a cob wall. So
without the specifications that come from REAL tests (like the shake
table test from that Canadian university), getting a cob house
approved without major delays and setbacks is pert-near impossible.
I'm a real optimist, don't get me wrong!