[Cob] supporting a one ton tank

Shannon Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Thu Jul 7 01:04:16 CDT 2011

On Wed, 6 Jul 2011, Ocean Liff-Anderson wrote:

> Actually, cob has incredible compressive strength, similar to a concrete
> wall.  I don't know the numbers - Shannon, can you pitch in some figures?
> But I think the walls circling a small bathroom and closet, if made thick
> enough, would be able to support your water tank.  But best to get some
> engineering...

Well, the numbers I have are nowhere near a concrete wall.  A study done
by an engineering student a few years back using samples provided by
experienced cobbers in this area gave a range from 65 to 129 psi.  His
search of the literature found that most past testing by others had ranged
up to 175 psi, but as far as I can tell, most of it seems to center around
100 psi except for one outlier which cited a range of 400 to 610.  In
otherwords, there is a lot of variation.

It is important to note that cob is built with local materials and
optimized for a variety of tradeoffs which may not include maximizing
tensile strength.  The soil and sand available where I live give a mixture
that is more ductile and with much lower compressive strength than mixes I
have worked with at other locations (some of which are probably easily
over twice the compressive strength of my local mix which is around 100
psi).  Of course if I had need of higher compressive strength, careful
selection of materials for the mix and thicker walls would allow for the
handling of quite substantial loads.

Phone: (800) 467-5820 |          - Natural Building Instruction -