[Cob] Lava Rock

Anna Young avjyoung at shaw.ca
Mon Jul 18 22:23:12 CDT 2011

We are one of the ones building with pumice cob in Victoria, BC. It is quite
doable, though a little different from plain cob. We are using a digger to
mix as well, as it is just me cobbing most of the time. I think foot mixing
would be quite uncomfortable with pumice in the mix. We are using pumice
that is sized 2" and down so we can compact it for underfloor insulation as
well, but I don't think pumice size would matter much if you are just using
it for added insulation in the cob. The other folk that built with pumice
cob in Victoria have a website www.eco-sense.ca and I think there is
something on there about the R-value of their cob, as they are all set up
with sensors in the walls.

I don't think having pumice in the mix will make it much easier to
machine-mix or handle; ours is still heavy, wet ornery stuff. Once it is on
the wall and I am working it with my thumbs, I can't whip them in and out
real fast to stitch it in, as I end up whanging my fingers on pumice lumps.
I just go a little slower and use lots of wooden thumbs to spare mine. Also,
I find it is worth while taking the time to shape the wall and seal the
outside closed, rather than piling it on and cutting off the extra later, as
all the pumice lumps make it hard to cut bits off and seal up the wall.
Makes it a longer and more frustrating job.

For a mix, we are using the backhoe scoop as a measure, and doing one of
clay, two of pumice and one of sand, with a bit of our fine earth mixed in
somewhere. We get much better results if we put the scoop of clay to soak in
the bucket for a week or so first. Then we dump out the clay, spread the
sand and pumice out in the mix area, and scoop the clay on top before mixing
hugely with the scoop. My husband is doing a video of the process for
Youtube, and promises to get on with it now someone out there might be
interested in it. You are welcome to come by for a visit if you are across
in Victoria; we will be cobbing till at least September inside.

Anna
Cob/strawbale timberframe in Victoria BC