[Cob] Lava Rock

Janet Standeford janet.standeford at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 01:43:30 CDT 2011

Are you saying theirs is true R value?

As for the energy model I know of, it passes muster with building
officials as R value for my house.

The point I am making is that .5 for regular cob is a pretty low guess
on their part versus the nearly "1" I will be getting. So it doesn't
appear that the pumice actually adds anything to the equation when
theirs comes out to "1" with the pumice.

Also Shannon, effective value or not, it was measured at 19 for 20
inches. Yes, site, sun, etc have everything to do  with it but as cob
will never have a true R value due to variances in the mix and soil,
effective value is the closest thing we will ever get to measuring it.

So don't jump down my throat for going with what I can get in the way of
a measurement just because I have an opinion on regular cob versus
pumice cob and the claim made on their website regarding R value for
regular cob!