[Cob] Lava Rock

Anna Young avjyoung at shaw.ca
Wed Jul 20 02:01:18 CDT 2011

This particular pumice mix only has about 1-2% of the big ones; the rest
grade right down to coarse sand size. Our mix has about 1/4 to 1/5 pumice
in, and if I feel there is too much pumice in a bit when I am working it
onto the wall, I just put it in the reject pile. I don't have concerns about
structural integrity, we are careful not to crank the proportion of pumice
up too high though. Our cob is not load-bearing and is still about 12-14"
thick at the wall tops, so I am being less conservative than I might be if
it was holding the roof up. I did have to remove some last year to
accommodate some resized windows, and it was reassuringly hard work to do
it. Our house site is quite shady and marginal for cob, so we were keen to
incorporate added insulation where possible, and pumice seemed like a good
way to go. Pumice is also quite fragile so it's easy to break up too-big
bits by hitting them with a hammer, my favourite problem-solving technique.

As always, the mix proportion is something to keep an eye on. It would
easily be possible to add in so much pumice that structural integrity and
thermal mass were trashed and it all fell down when the big one hit. The
completed pumice cob house already in Victoria is apparently performing
well, so I think adding a certain proportion of it doesn't affect thermal
mass too much.

Anna
PS You will need to get extra pumice if you have kids, as they will make off
with loads to check it all floats...