[Cob] Feedback on cobwood?

Sky Orndoff skyorndoff at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 21 20:06:20 CDT 2011

Hi everyone!

We (my friends Kyle, McKenzie, and myself of EarthArtBuild) here in Montana are
in the process of building a cobwood (like Rob Roy's Cordwood) addition to a
conventionally framed building.  We have already built two other cordwood
buildings on site, and due to Montana's extremely cold winters don't really
appreciate the thermal mass.  Once it cools down, it's hard to heat up.  And we
aren't around all the time to keep the rocket mass heater burning.  So we've
tried to minimize the amount of thermal mass in this building.

The design is this:  4 inches of cob, 10 inches cellulose insulation, 6 inches
of cob.  This sandwich is penetrated frequently by a 21 inch log round.  The
walls are going up, and that's the way they're going to go up, unless someone
says "STOP, RECONSIDER" in a way that's truly convincing.  But feedback and
predictions on functionality would be very interesting; please comment!  The
room is small (8 feet diameter, about 3/4 of a circle) so the rocket mass heater
which we've already made should work quite nicely.  If you want to see pictures
and video of the project, check out www.earthartbuild.wordpress.com.  And please
comment or reply via the forum or the website.  Thanks!

Sky Orndoff,

EarthArtBuild