[Cob] CINVA ram

Dean Sherwin costman at verizon.net
Sat Aug 13 23:58:15 CDT 2011

excellent job.  Good workshop skills!  I know this is an old design,
that was designed originally specifically for stabilized earth
blocks, I think;  from these photos we can see why stabilizing
(adding usually emulsion or cement) is advised, for keeping the
blocks in good shape during manufacture and transport.  Once they are
in the wall, just like cob or adobe, the wall can be protected and
deterioration will be much less.
I've also seen them used in Indonesia for turning out cement
('cinder') blocks.  In that case the maker was saving a good bit of
the precious concrete mix by hiding a large stone in the center of each one...
An architect in Nepal told me these rams are too slow to be really
useful and competitive.  How long does it take you to turn out blocks?
dean sherwin

At 03:00 PM 8/12/2011, coblist-request at deatech.com wrote:
>Hi guys,
>I'm a hair off-topic here, but I'm sure at least some will be interested.
>I built a Cinva-Ram and started pressing some blocks.

Dean Sherwin CPE
Certified Professional Estimator
LEED Accredited Professional
CONSTRUCTION COST MANAGEMENT