[Cob] Mixing with a backhoe bucket???

Anna Young avjyoung at shaw.ca
Wed Sep 7 14:37:12 CDT 2011

Hi Andrew,

We are doing backhoe cob for our house. It is quite easy and much quicker
than foot mixing, though you have to watch the quality. We use the bucket as
a measuring scoop. Two - three days before making a batch, we get a scoop
full of clay, park it so the scoop mouth is flat, and fill with water to
overflowing so our dry clay has lots of time to soak. Makes a much better
mix.

When we are ready to mix, we dump out the clay in the mixing hollow that has
appeared over time, then add another scoop of dry clay and mix the two
together with the bucket really well, squishing and pushing and smearing
with the bucket to break down the big lumps. Then we lay down a bed of 3
scoops sand and 1 earth on the top of the clay and mix well with bucket and
tracks, adding lots of water till it's good and wet. Then we add one layer
of straw, smear it well into the mix with the bucket, then use tracks to mix
it through. If we use tracks first, the straw just gets bunched up in them
and doesn't get spread through the mix. Then we add another layer of straw
and more water if necessary, mix in again, get the Cob Queen to check it,
and it's done.

Hope that helps. Will try and post a video to Youtube, but the in-laws are
here this week and time is a bit tight.

Anna
cob-strawbale timberframe in Victoria, BC