[Cob] Lime render

Simon Matthews simon at karrak.id.au
Fri Sep 23 08:25:52 CDT 2011

Hi Susan,

The lime in lime render is Calcium Hydroxide which is also known as
hydrated or slaked lime. The other constituent is sand, which would most
likely be either silica or calcium based.

When mixed with water and the sand, over time the Calcium Hydroxide
undergoes a chemical reaction with Carbon Dioxide from the air to form
Calcium Carbonate (limestone). This is what binds the sand grains
together.

Here is a link to Wikipedia for more info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lime_(material)

Simon