[Cob] Insulative values of cob and strawclay

Janet Standeford janet.standeford at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 16:07:34 CDT 2011

> Janet: about your r-values:  The effective measure of r-19 in Arizona is
> probably "effective" due to daily temperature swings: thermal transfer
> happens slowly but steadily through cob, which means that if your daily
> temperature average is comfortable even if your predawn and early evening
> temperatures are not, then your cob building's inside will be comfy.

Hi Sky,
Thank you for the input. Actually very few days here are below 0, normally
just 3 weeks. There are certain things inherent in my house that will make
the difference as far as holding warmth.

1. The fireplace will be centered on the high wall to the west, also lots
of window on that wall which will catch most of the warmth from the sun.
2. There is a one foot thick wall running down the center of the length of
the house just about 8 feet from the fireplace. It will become very warm
from the sun and the fires and throw heat all night.
3. The bathroom will have a propane heater on one end of the house which is
only about 23 feet long to start with. It will easily heat the bathroom,
tiny closet and provide some heat for the bedroom at the other end. The
warm inner wall and warm air circulating from the fireplace will be enough
to heat the bedroom to a comfortable temperature for me. I don't like too
much heat when I sleep.

The width of the house is only about 17 feet inside, broken by the center
wall with a door at each end and a window in the middle to provide a bit of
warmth and light to the closet. BTW I cannot tolerate temps over 65 to
start with and only about 45-50 at night or I throw covers.

4. There are two windows on the north wall and 1 on the East wall which
does not receive much sun to start with. All the rest of the windows are on
the South and West Walls which do catch more sun than anywhere else.

The East wall is only 9 feet tall and the West is 14 feet tall.

I think with such a small living space and the dynamics in the building as
they are, there will be plenty of heat.

I can also throw plywood above on the decorative poles at nearly 7 feet
high and it will help block some of the warmth from rising too fast if I
find I am wrong.

Thank you all for your support in this. I really have learned a lot and now
it is nearly time to proceed.

Janet