[Cob] Energy Model

Christopher Reinhart sandymud at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 10:34:41 CDT 2011

> BTW If I can get someone do an energy model on the house (after it is good
> and dry), I'll post the results. Then we will really have something to go
> by.
> Janet
> Be aware that if I mention the R value of cob I am talking about the
> effective R value of 19 per 20 inches: This was the result of an energy
> model done on a house in Arizona. Their building inspector passed the
> results on to me and my building officials accept those for my house. If
> anyone would like a copy of the letter, just let me know. This will be my
> signature from now on to satisfy Shannon.

Janet,

Shannon is not the only one that wants to make sure that information is
being represented in its appropriate context. In the discussions that have
taken place about your energy model, I have almost replied each time, but
Shannon has done so first and I have not felt the need.

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of energy modeling, and I think that as a
tool it can be very powerful for designers. I also think that as we grow
more familiar with and refine this tool it will become more useful to us. I
believe Shannon's concern, which I share, is that newcomers to the list or
those without much background in building science may be misled by your
stated R-values.

Because of your interest in energy modeling, I would suggest that in
addition to having an "as-built" energy model done of your home once you
finish construction, you place thermal sensors in numerous places in your
home. Collecting data from these sensors and analyzing it with your
climactic data and energy use data would provide a wonderful opportunity to
compare your energy model with the reality of your situation. These types
of studies will help designers and builders understand how much emphasis
should be placed on energy models and perhaps how these modeling programs
can be improved. There may be a graduate student in architecture or
building science in your area that is willing to take this on as a project.

I applaud you for building a natural home, for providing others the
opportunity to work on it, and for sharing your experiences. I only make
this post to let you know that Shannon is not an outlier. I'm sure there
are others, like myself, that have similar feelings. It is essential that
we use scientific information appropriately and contextually. This builds
the quality of dialogue on the list and also increases credibility for the
natural building movement.

These comments come from a builder with over a decade's experience in
conventional and natural building (which is, honestly, not all that long),
a resident of a hybrid natural home, and a third year architecture student
who uses computer modeling on regular basis.

Best Regards,
Christopher Reinhart
Bloomington, IN