[Cob] Cob Insulative values

Janet Standeford janet.standeford at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 18:49:34 CST 2011

> Janet,
> Where are you building your cob home or what is the climate?  The
> elevation?  I'm also curious of your past experience living in
> "thermal mass" homes.
>
> Mike

Hi Mike,

You can go to www.mystonehaven.com to find a lot of answers. I am at
approx 4800 feet.  Fall and Spring can be as cold as winter at night but
much warmer during the day (avg about 60 daytime/ night can be 25-30).

Winter is usually 20 to 0 at night with days from 30 to 40 for two
months. One month is usually 10 to -20 at night and 10 to 30 days right
in the middle of winter.

Currently I use wood and a Mr Heater and for those who are worry about
that, I have a detector which never shows anything other than 0. I use
about 3 to 5 cords of wood and about 100  gallons of propane.

This is with almost paper thin walls and no real insulation! With
thermal mass, I anticipate cutting this at least in half and most likely
will use even less than that.

For those who would like to use snap judgement, please wait until I have
the energy model done. If I am wrong, I'll gladly eat crow. Seen a few
of those flying around out here!

I was in a cob house in Germany and it was wonderful and warm, cozy and
happy.

Normally