[Cob] Insulative values

Damon Howell dhowell at pickensprogress.com
Mon Nov 7 15:07:23 CST 2011

Sky, I believe someone has went outside the boundaries of the subject
matter at hand? I do agree that most of North America is frigid in
the winter and homes should be built accordingly. That's why building
codes vary throughout the country. BUT, I have read about 100% cob
homes being quite comfortable year round in Canada. You're wanting
cob to be something it's not. I've read that if the diurnal
temperatures fluctuate close to 20 degrees then cob is a satisfactory
material. The thicker the walls the longer it will take to heat and
cool. You have to design appropriately, which is something Americans
stopped doing when energy costs dropped. If you are sold on the
insulation factor means everything and thermal mass means nothing
scenario (which it sounds like you are) then I do not see room for
cob in your life.
Damon in Georgia