[Cob] groove where Cob meets wood

Medi orange_green_peace at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 4 17:18:10 CST 2012

I haven't tried this out for myself (haven't had a chance to build with
cob or wood except in a few workshops/courses), but I guess it's worth a
try:
Where cob and wood meet, put a groove (a few cm or about one inch deep
and wide) into the wood so that the cob, when it shrinks, does not leave
a gap. This technique is used in german timber framed houses, where the
infill is a coblike mix held up by a mesh of flexible sticks (here the
groove also serves to hold the sticks in place).
You can see pictures of it here, especially the third and fourth to last
images:
http://www.fachwerk-suedpfalz.de/2010/05/eichendeckenbalken-befestigen/#