[Cob] Free 3d drawings offered for cob project... Northwest area preferred

David Thurman dmthurman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 14:19:46 CDT 2012

I have been a long time user of a  mechanical nurbs modeling program called
rhino 3d in the building industry and a long  time doodlist in an organic
modeler called zbrush. I have worked out how to interface the two separate
computer environments and want to start applying that to alternative
building materials such as cob. What the 3d environment offers is the
ability to create a virtual model and then through the various processes of
site work manifest a very accurate house to the model. One can shoot point
locations  from the model into real time locations via survey techniques.
One can create sectional templates for layout via cnc technology, one can
print out paper templates via large format printers, one could even project
onto finished and unfinished walls art work for tracing.
Obviously all 2d plan elevation sectional and details for structural can be
created. Theoretically an  FEA (finite elemental analysis) engineering
library could be built that would pass all structural requirements, but the
library requires tests and engineering people for that. That would be a
very very nice open source project itself  for the alternative building
community.

So there is for me a need to apply this in real time. I am pursuing this
like some half crazed artist ideally I need to somehow get some projects
under my belt.

Separate note of personal advertising:

Right now I am in portland looking for work. I really want to exit out of
the city but finding construction projects out side the city hard. Btw I am
extremely experienced in construction both belt on belt off and I am all
about teamwork  and process with a degree in theology for party
conversation about art, our goofy consumer culture, our future, and deep
ecology, David abrams books, permaculture,  rudolph steiner, all preferably
over home brewed beer or cider and food, in hobbit like fashion!!!
Cheers,
David