[Cob] Stone Haven

Henry Raduazo raduazo at cox.net
Wed May 9 17:04:12 CDT 2012

	The problem is that doing tests costs lots of money which Cob Cottage does not have and meaningful tests are impossible. Note: A meaningful test would be to build a structure with steel and then test it after 30 years of exposure to the weather. That would mean something but how do you do it? The Alpha testers in this case are the people who are getting talked into building these steel reinforced cob structures based on short term testing and/or speculation. Americans love steel and concrete! The Alpha testers or their descendants will find out the results of these experiments when their structures experience earthquakes twenty or thirty years from now. I think the best we can hope for is that the steel will not weaken the structures.
	I used galvanized nails as light weight hurricane ties to anchor rafters in a wall because I heard that when steel nails were used to anchor wood window frames in cob they rusted to nothing because inside the wall there was not enough moisture to rot the straw or wood, but plenty of moisture to corrode out the nails.
	I have built cob with shredded wood in rototiller cob instead of straw. The wood fibers are many times stronger than wheat or rice straws. I have also incorporated strips of split bamboo into structures. It bends and follows the curve of the wall, and has fantastic tensile strength. How would I ever go about proving it is better or worse than regular straw? My test has been running for three years and nothing terrible has happened that is all I can say. I suppose I could remove some of the fibers from the wall and see if they still have superior tensile strength.

Ed

I have a photo essay on the wood fiber straw and pictures of the cob walls with embedded rafters if anyone is interested.