[Cob] Questions posted also to coblist

Janet Standeford janet.standeford at gmail.com
Thu May 10 11:23:19 CDT 2012

Hi Nabil,

I posted the plans and will add your email address on the same page
tonight. I am also cc ing coblist on these questions as they are very
interested in how the house will be built. Can you reply all so they will
see the answers?

In looking at my plans, there is still an attic that should not be there.
The attic was the reason for the sheet rock I believe. We wrote on the
plans we discussed not to put the attic in at all. Can you change that with
Jerry or how do we address this now?

Also the plans you and I looked at did not have two re-bars in the
concrete. Only the short ones. Now there is also a long one to cut half
way.Can we dispense with the short ones if the long ones are going in to
take their place?

Also the "key" channel for the cob to be rammed into. A 3 inch wide and 6
inch deep channel in the center of the concrete(?) to hold 3 feet of cob
wall.

The weight of the house is what will hold it to the foundation, that and
the way the rock is angled in the foundation.

If the walls were concrete, I would understand but they are not. Can we
dispense with this channel which was not in any of the plans I saw
previously?

Also the psi on the tested cob was 360 not 300 as stated in the plans and
it was already tested. It doesn't gain it's dried strength until it has
cured for 6 to 12 months. It is strong enough to hold the roof even when
not finished curing but to crush it you must let it completely dry and
cure. I will be obtaining the soil from the same location for the entire
house.

I'm concerned about what is going to happen when the inspector wants to see
new psi tests per your plans? Will I have to hold on building for three
years to test three times? I need something in writing to let them know if
this is waived so I don't have to hold production of the house if you are
not available. I need this before next Spring.

Sincerely,
Janet Standeford