[Cob] reinforcement

dhowell at pickensprogressonline.com dhowell at pickensprogressonline.com
Tue May 22 11:19:22 CDT 2012

  I think bamboo would be a good route to go for reinforcement in
sustainable building, because it is as strong as steel, they say, and
it's a weed. Although I've heard some say the straw in cob acts as
reinforcement, I don't think that is why they use it. It's more to
keep the wet mix from slumping while the material is drying. But if I
was to take a sledge hammer to a dry wall, I'm betting the straw
isn't going to provide much resistance, but I could be wrong. It's
worth trying. That's the kind of testing I have in mind. Numbers mean
very little compared to real world, hands on tests like that. I have
a cob storage shed I never finished that has a 3 foot wall. I'm
planning on tearing it down and I'll probably video myself doing it.
That's real information!
Damon