[Cob] Coblist Digest, Vol 10, Issue 37

Monica Proulx mon.pro at gmail.com
Tue May 22 15:11:03 CDT 2012

Reinforcement of cob with bamboo

Damon,

The "improved Quincha" building techniques (earthquake resistant building
method using cob in a wattle and daub application) being promoted in Peru
and elsewhere by Practical Action encourage people to use bamboo when they
can get it.  It's so flexible and strong.

I have a really good book on using bamboo in buildings, which also talks
about how to treat it against insects though, (a problem in hot humid
climates, probably still a potential problem even though bamboo is encased
in adobe or cob?). Sounds like a bother to do, but worth investigating if
someone is bent on bamboo in a termite prone zone.  I'm not sure if
termites are as big a problem in the Pacific northwest as they are in the
east and the south:  (Here's the bamboo book:  "Building with Bamboo: A
Handbook.  by Jules J. A. Janssen, 1995, there are some copies on
Amazon.com right now for around 16 dollars.)

Here's a great overview of Quincha building, search the webpage for
"bamboo", it's mentioned several times.  There are also some great sketches
you can zoom in on, which show how they are using it:

http://www.appropedia.org/Original:Earthquake-resistant_housing_%28Practical_Action_Brief%29