[Cob] Clay for clay/straw slip

Ocean Liff-Anderson ocean at fireworksvenue.com
Mon Jun 4 01:09:41 CDT 2012

Depending on where you are, you can just dig a hole.  Here in
Oregon's Willamette Valley, the subsoil is about 18-24" down, pure
clay, almost good enough for pottery.

Some places have higher silt content, which won't do well for cob or
clay slip.

There are 'sticky' tests and 'shake' tests - anyone on the list care
to elaborate?