[Cob] rebar

dhowell at pickensprogressonline.com dhowell at pickensprogressonline.com
Mon Jun 25 15:13:35 CDT 2012

Tony: ...the services of tensile strength that rebar offers in
earthen and concrete structures is justified to ridiculous extreme.

Damon: Possibly. But also, cob has been proven to hold up just fine
without rebar. So which side is doing it the right way? Whichever
side has the most money, I presume. Generally cobbers are poor people
and we all should be able to build our homes with what materials we
can afford and not be denied housing because of code costs. There are
cheaper ways than concrete, steel and sheet metal. Believe me, I
think about what will make my building stand up as I'm sure anyone
who looks to build their own home would. Tensile strength is an
important issue. I bet after a few collapses and possibly deaths,
traditional cob builders noticed the more straw in the wall, the more
weather resistant. Straw provides our tensile strength, we don't need
rebar too. Cob does have its place and California is hard on it. But
they are adapting it to their environment. What is required in one
place may not be required in another. Let's not pretend like this is
a brand new material that the world has just discovered.