[Cob] Looking for answers (Henry Raduazo): mixing cob withrototiller

avjyoung at shaw.ca avjyoung at shaw.ca
Sun Mar 3 22:30:51 CST 2013

I struggle with this one all the time. With everything that we use to build
our house, and everything that we do to build it, we are finding the balance
point between the financial cost, the environmental cost of
making/using/installing something, the lifespan of the material, and the
time it takes to do any given thing. The balance point changes ALL the time,
depending on where we are at. We also keep in mind that the energy used to
build the house is a fraction of the energy it will take to live in the
house for its lifespan. So far we are comfortable with the trade-off of
using fossil fuels to make the cob (the rototiller and the backhoe both use
very little), and electricity to run power tools in order to move in sooner
and quit living in our decaying little cottage. Once we move in, that could
easily change... I like to mow my lawn with a hand scythe.....

Also, to make natural building more easy for mainstream builders to get
their heads round, it helps to make it quicker and easier. That way it is
more likely to be widely adopted and used.

Anna
cob/strawbale hybrid in Victoria BC