[Cob] natural building purism, practicality & appropriate technology

Kristen Davenport Katz kristen at boxcarfarm.com
Mon Mar 4 16:24:25 CST 2013

Interesting.  However, I can say with some certainty that the "consistency"
with a cement mixer is excellent, and it was a well-known cob builder who
studied with even more well-known cob builders who taught me that a cement
mixer is a really good alternative for someone without the time or strength
to mix by hand. We have built two cob structures so far with this, and plan
on more. They are perfect. They are beautiful. I'll send pictures soon. One
of them has been up four years or so and shows zero sign of wear and we
haven't even bothered to plaster it. If I had more time and was 10-20 years
younger, and didn't have twelve jobs, I'd build by hand and use my feet for
mixing. But since I do have 12 jobs , two kids, 10 goats, 5 acres of organic
vegetables, 6 beehives, a mother-in-law who relies on my care, and a husband
who wants some attention periodically, I'm really delighted with the outcome
of mixing cob in a cement mixer. If that makes my cob less authentic, so be
it. Fine with me! I can say that it was EASY to build those structures. I
could have done it by myself, except my brain had a little trouble with the
reciprocal roof.

Kristen