[Cob] Mike .. Dome home

Dulane silkworm at spiderhollow.com
Wed Jan 15 17:06:44 CST 2014

We get a fair amount of rain here in the NW. My lime paint (with clay, and sand and horse manure) has lasted 3-5 years between applications. And we get sideways rain. But not often enough to do the walls much damage. Overhang is everything when it comes to longevity of walls.

I love my clay floor now. But I swear it took 2 years to finally dry. I think you can be really water stingy with your clay floor mix. It is harder to work with tho and even then you should start it a week before the hottest driest part of your summer.

I had dents in my floor for awhile too. I actually saved some of the floor mix and used it to fill the dents. We didn't use my cob hut for the winter and it stopped denting the following year. I also put the wool things on the bottoms of my chairs and dusted them with cornstarch. Seems crazy to have to live like that especially when you put so much energy into creating these floors!

Lime ash or limecrete floors might be a better option too, because they dry faster. I had just a cob floor for a couple years and it was fine (with a carpet covering) until I put on a dense wet top layer, and then sealed it a few weeks later with orange oil and bees wax.