[Cob] roto-cob

Pavel Velikodvorsky willyns59 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 15:28:25 CST 2014

Thanks, Robert!
At the first days of the trap mixing I got that yes, it's a very 'romantic'
way to mix a cob :) if you know what i mean, but it will take ages to
complete some serious project, unless you have an army of helpers with
tarps - which i don't.
The first thing which comes up to my mind about this rototiller - either it
will crush the straw in a smaller parts (which is undesirable) or not, and
will the straw stuck in its blades or not? I remember I had the same fears
about the concrete mixer - but it turned out just fine, i just made my mix
a little wetter.
So I'm really start to think about this roto-thing, it looks like it will
cost less to buy one than hire some kind of 'bobcat' for mixing. Maybe i
will be lucky enough to rent it first to try before buy :)

Regards,
Pavel

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 11:07 PM, Robert Alcock <ralcock at euskalnet.net>wrote:

> Hi Pavel
>
> That's a rotavator (rototiller), and yes, this is a very effective way of
> mixing cob. About 20-50 times faster than the tarps method. It'll chuck the
> rocks out of the soil, too. You have to take care not to get the straw
> mixed around the tines -- mix wet, spray the tines with a hose and add the
> straw last of all.
>
> good luck!
>
> Robert
> www.abrazohouse.org
>

>> Message: 2
>> Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 16:37:38 +0200
>> From: Pavel Velikodvorsky <willyns59 at gmail.com>
>> Cc: coblist at deatech.com
>> Subject: Re: [Cob] interview about cob self-build
>>
>> Hello to all!
>> Thanks Robert for the link to the interview. Hope i'm doing right by
>> answering to this email to keep converstaion.
>> I got interested in the picture with the caprion Another way of mixing cob
>> in this article. There is the guy mixing the cob using this moto-thing (i
>> don't know how it called right)
>> Does anyone know how effective is this? There is a huge amount of cob to
>> make in front of me this summer and I didn't come to any conclusion how to
>> do it fast and effective - in meaning of good quality of cob.
>> So far I used the cement mixer for my little cob shed, but for the main
>> house even this won't be that fast as needed. Can anyone share their
>> expirience in mixing huge amounts of cob?
>> I tried to mix it in the pit with the tracktor, but we have such a rocky
>> soil here, so all rocks were in the cob and it wasn't that good.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Pavel
>>

>> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 4:10 PM, Robert Alcock <ralcock at euskalnet.net
>> >wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all
>>> You might like to check out, just posted today, an interview about the
>>> house project with Rob Hopkins of Transition Towns.
>>> https://www.transitionnetwork.org/blogs/rob-hopkins/2014-01/
>>> can-earth-building-scale-mainstream-3-robert-alcock-
>>> power-keeping-it-small
>>> cheers
>>> Robert