[Cob] thermal bridging around windows (Robert Alcock)

Robert Alcock ralcock at euskalnet.net
Mon Feb 17 02:48:55 CST 2014

Hi again

I've received two replies off-list, both of them saying essentially the
same thing: "Condensation will always form around windows, and you need
a healthy breeze to blow away the wet air" or "the air is not been
changed often enough".

Thanks for those replies, but I don't agree entirely. For one thing, the
condensation in our house forms around some windows but not others --
not exclusively in the areas where there is extra humidity, like kitchen
and bathrooms. There are always going to be humidity in indoor air.
People breathe out water vapour. But cob walls are breathable, and so in
general, the humidity inside a cob house should self-regulate in a way
that doesn't happen in non-breathable walls, hence there shouldn't be a
generalised problem with high humidity (and indeed there isn't, at least
not in our house!), and no need for forced ventilation; though
certainly, ventilation will help to solve this problem locally, like in
bathrooms.

As I see it, the problem is that the wall around the window is colder
than the rest of the wall surface, hence the water condenses there.
That's why I asked specifically about how to reduce this thermal bridging.

I should add that this isn't a major problem, we're talking about fairly
small areas and sponging down with bleach gets rid of the mould. But it
is something I would like to prevent because it's a sign that we're
losing heat in those areas.

Any ideas?

thanks again

Robert
www.abrazohouse.org

 though obviously you want to keep this within limits