[Cob] thermal bridging around windows (Robert Alcock)

Robert Alcock ralcock at euskalnet.net
Mon Feb 17 23:01:25 CST 2014

Hi Shannon

thanks for the detailed reply. It sounds like condensation is more of a
problem in cob buildings than I was aware! By the way, the cob in our
main wall has been tested as having a thermal conductivity between 0.24
and 0.3 W/mK. That's equivalent to about a US R-value of 0.5 per inch --
compared to the typical value of 0.3 per inch that you give at
http://www.deatech.com/pipermail/coblist/2011/013007.html. I imagine
this is because we added quite a bit of extra fibre (in the form of wood
shavings) to our wall. We do have double-glazed windows with wooden
frames, so what you say about the moisture condensing on the cob is
probably true.

Robert
www.abrazohouse.org