[Cob] Making lime

Henry Raduazo raduazo at cox.net
Mon Jun 2 06:06:57 CDT 2014

	I have a supply of lime which is free for anyone in the Washington DC area. I used a lot less then I thought I needed.
	Instead of covering my strictures with lime putty, I made a putty of earth plaster from clay, shredded paper and fine sand. Then I just coated this with lime paint. It saves a heck of a lot of lime and the finished result looks a lot better. That is because you can re-wet mud plaster and hard trowel it to make it perfect before you apply the lime.
	I have tried using sand/lime putty, and once the stuff is hard you can't do anything with it. It has to be perfect before you let it harden. That is a good trick even if you are doing only a small section of wall surface. I really screwed up trying to lime putty a 12 foot by 10 foot section of wall in one day. My brother and I messed with that all day and it still does not look half as good as lime painted mud plaster.

Ed