[Cob] solar storage

Henry Raduazo raduazo at cox.net
Mon Sep 8 11:34:16 CDT 2014

Lisa: If you are going to make a greenhouse the best material is sliding glass doors. There are millions of them trashed every year because the slider mechanism wore out. Not only are they plentiful, for the most part then come in standard sizes. Recycle places like The Fork Lift usually throw them away as soon as they come in so you have to tell them you are looking for doors with worn out sliders if you want them to save some for you. Also, you can talk to people who replace worn out glass doors, or raid their dumpsters. Glass people are usually funny about people raiding their dumpsters because they are afraid you will get cut so be careful.
	I have been using cob cold frames for years and in the Washington, DC area the stored heat from the cob and the ground will usually carry lettuce through the winter. (It turns to mush at 20⁰F). Lettuce for this winter should be started soon if not already up.
	Car windshields have parallel surfaces with little or no optical distortion so they can be used too if you have a supply of them and they will probably look neat but building the frame to go around them is more difficult.

Ed