[Cob] using old gargage-style doors for a retractable kind of wall.....

Bill Christensen billc_lists at greenbuilder.com
Mon Sep 22 01:10:00 CDT 2014

I have seen articles and presentations where people have done this.  In
fact, one of the presentations that hooked me on all this stuff was at
the Mid West Renewable Energy Fair in ~1976 where an architect in Iowa
(I think) had built a passive solar house with a sloping glass wall in
the living room.  It had an industrial garage door on the inside which
he could slide down for privacy/insulation or up to form the ceiling for
solar collection.

I've also seen articles in architectural magazines where people have
used garage doors to separate a patio area from kitchen/dining space.
On nice days they can open them up and it's like the room just expands
to the outside.  Very nicely done.

Standard garage doors are not typically insulated well, but if done
right you can at least get a good seal these days.  Adding a layer of
lightweight insulation might be a good idea if you're in a strong
heating or cooling climate.

One guy I worked for had a set of 4 or 5 sliding glass doors which were
built so that when fully retracted there was only 1 door's worth of
glass.  As you might imagine, there was one heck of a header over that
opening!  It opened onto the outdoor kitchen/dining area from the indoor
kitchen and living room.  This one was a commercial product, and I'm
sure it wasn't cheap.  But the effect was pretty nice.