[Cob] Eco Roofing Material

Bill Wright, L.Ac., DNBAO bill at auburnacupuncture.net
Wed Oct 1 10:07:53 CDT 2014

Hi Everyone,

I sent out this email, "Any suggestions for
green/Eco roofing material?"

Adam Weismann Responded, "In what
context?" Great question Adam! Thank you!

To which I will add:

I'm
building a simple gable end round wood timber framed structure w/
bale-cob walls, and a South facing Cob, "solar wall". It has a 8:12
Pitched roof. We live in foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains in
Northern California at approximately 2500 feet. We live mostly below the
snow line, although we can expect a few days of snow each year. The most
snow I've seen at one time is 6-8"; though I wouldn't want to bet on how
the climate will show up in our current trajectory. Our biggest
climactic issue is brush fires, and local building codes dictate fire
resistant roofing materials, so thatch is out.

The building is
designed with passive solar in mind, so it has quite a bit of solar
exposure. That means I would like a roofing material that won't cause
considerable heat gain in the heat of our long, dry, hot summers.

The
roofing substrate is 5/8" thick OSB Plywood fastened to 2x6" Doug Fir
lumber. However, the 2x6" framing is fastened to round wood timber
framed rafters, giving the roof some undulation - dips and humps as the
roof transits from gable end to gable end; from ridge to eve the roof
planes pretty straight and flat.

That's about all the context I can
think to add in the moment.

This moment is a gift. Enjoy...

Bill

--

Bill Wright, L.Ac., DNBAO

Wright Acupuncture and Massage

251
Auburn Ravine Rd., Ste. # 205

Auburn, CA 95603

530-886-8927

http://www.auburnacupuncture.net

This e-mail and any attachment is a
private communication and may be confidential and/or legally privileged.
If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, copy, use it or
disclose it to others. Please notify the sender of the delivery error
and then delete it and any attachments from your system. Thank you.

L.Ac. wrote:

>> Hi,
>> Any suggestions for green/Eco roofing
material?