[Cob] Alternative Materials Justification

Bernhard Masterson bernhard_masterson at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 7 14:43:05 CDT 2014

Hi Bill,

The Building and Development Services Department of Portland, Oregon has something called the Alternative Technology Advisory Committee that is part of the appeals process for Alternative Materials.  They have approved light-straw-clay for use in Portland with provisional guidelines published on their website.  Perhaps showing your CA jurisdiction the precedent set by Portland would help your case.

List of approved techniques/materials by ATAC:
http://www.portlandoregon.gov/bds/article/214146

The guidelines:
http://www.portlandoregon.gov/bds/48661?a=316538

- Bernhard

Get under a sustainable lifestyle umbrella, the carbon is going to hit the fan.

____________________________________http://www.bernhardmasterson.com

Natural building instruction and consultation

Hi All,

The next phase of my building (sent link to pics
previously), is to get its jacket on - lime stucco. My building is a
simple, gable end round-wood timber framed structure, wrapped with
bale-cob, and a cob wall. I met w/ the man who will help me apply the
stucco, and for the gable ends; which are stick framed w/ 2"x6" DF
standard lumber, his preference is to stucco over a light-clay/straw
wall. I share his sensibilities, and have been envisioning the same
thing all along. However, this is unorthodox to my local county's
building codes to say the least!

If I am to do this, and I would like
to, I need to submit a form to my County's Building Dept., known as the,
"Alternate Materials, or Methods of construction and/or Design Request".
On the form it has a section called, "JUSTIFICATION", which reads,
"Attach copies of any reference, test reports, expert opinions, etc...
The Building Official may require that consultant be hired by the
applicant to perform test, research and analysis and submit a full
report of evaluation to the Building Division for consideration and
approval".

Anyone have references to, "test reports", "references",
"expert opinions"?

Thanks for being there...

Bill