[Cob] R value of cob vs strawbale

Henry Raduazo raduazo at cox.net
Tue Feb 10 14:24:15 CST 2015

Deborah: if you have the ability to build a three foot thick cob wall then you have the ability to build a hybrid.
	Also, there are some good reasons why you might not want to build a three foot thick cob wall besides the fact that you will be mixing and placing tons of extra material. I once rented a room in an adobe house for a couple of weeks and the owner advised me that the room was quite comfortable until the end of summer because the massive walls tended to average out the cooler night time temperatures and the warmer day time temperatures. However, by the end of the summer when the entire biomass of the walls became heated up then no amount of air conditioning could lower the temperature of that room to what city dwellers in air conditioned houses consider comfortable.

 	There are several methods that can be used to construct a hybrid structure. The first photo which I sent you shows co-forming straw bale and cob walls together. The disadvantage of this construction method is that during construction you must be meticulous about protecting the straw bales from moisture. That usually means constructing a temporary roof over your building cite and maintaining that roof until the permanent roof is in place. The first photo is from Cae Maybon. (My apology for the spelling I do not speak Welch. I have not been back to Whales since the construction, but I understand from an indirect source that the owner is very happy with the thermal properties of the building. Note there is lots of solar heat, but no attempt to air condition the structure.
	An alternative method, which I highly recommend, is to build the cob wall first and place deadman anchors in the wall during construction so that you can attach the straw bales after the permanent roof is in place. Cob is very forgiving if it gets rained on straw bales are not.
	You can also drill holes through walls of an existing cob structure and place one deadman inside of the cob structure and attach another deadman on the outside surface of the straw bales. Both deadman anchors would then be covered with earth plaster and then lime paint or plaster.
	A third system that I used to build a hybrid structure in Washington, DC area consisted of building straw bale walls and temporarily supporting a roof on the bales while cob walls were being built on the inside of the structure. This came about because of an odd situation. I had a large crew that wanted to learn straw bale on a small structure. So, I pre-manufactured the roof framing. Then during the workshop we built the straw bale walls and using picnic tables as scaffolding I had my crew just pick up the roof framing and place it on the walls. I attach diagonal bracing from the roof framing to the ground to hold the roof in place while we added a plywood and membrane surfacing. Later with the roof braced on top of the straw bales we constructed our cob walls at a relatively leisurely pace.
	A final variation must be mentioned for construction methods 1 and 2 but not for method #3. and that is the use of half bales. One problem with the hybrid structure is that you are losing a lot of interior space to wall thickness. This is particularly true if you are using three string bales. To deal with this problem you will need to built a bale compression jig. The jig consisted of a vertical post connected to any horizontal surface and an 8 foot 2" x 4" stud pivotally connected at varying heights to the vertical post. To use the jig you wrapped one or more strings around a bale then placed it against the post and compressed it by putting weight on the 2" x 4" stud. You can then tie the strings at the desired bale height to produce a bale with 4 strings tying it together. You would then place this bale now tied with 4 strings on a cutting jig and chain saw it in half to produce two bales of 1/2 the normal thickness. These half bale are then secured to the cob wall and plastered to form the outside wall of your cob structure.
	This is something that nearly anyone can do. Please be careful with the chain saw. Use only experienced chain saw operators and wear a dust mask.
	 if anyone wants them, I have pictures of everything except the jigs and the chainsaw for compressing and cutting straw bales.

Ed