[Cob] rain catching on a curve

Bernhard Masterson bernhard_masterson at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 13 14:53:20 CDT 2015

Hi Alex,

I have been successful using the black corrugated drain pipe generally used for in-ground burial.  I have not looked into its safety for drinking water.

 I used a circle saw to cut it lengthwise and remove about 1/3 of the circumference of the pipe.  Then I used deck screws to screw it to facia I made with Trex style deck material.  (The Trex is flexible and easy to bend especially when hot, boiling water).  I first used 5" screws to catch both the outside and inside edges.  That made cleaning gutters a pain. Later I just screwed the inside edge of the pipe to the facia.  In its first decade the 4" pipe has demonstrated plenty of resistance to deformation (sagging open) with only the inside edge attached.  How long till the plastic fails I don't know, by eye it looks like the pipe has at least another decade of service.  Your "L" bracket installation seams good and I bet you wouldn't even need to screw the gutter to the brackets. That could allow easy removal for cleaning the gutter on the ground.  Because of the corrugations in the piping I used it gathers more debris than conventional gutter assemblies.

- Bernhard

You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bicycle, and that is pretty close.

____________________________________http://www.bernhardmasterson.com

Natural building instruction and consultation