[Cob] Clay tiles over earthen floors

Bill Wright, L.Ac., DNBAO bill at auburnacupuncture.net
Mon Mar 21 16:58:10 CDT 2016

Hi All,

Graeme: by, "lime putty" do you mean a, "pre-mix" that you purchased? Or
did you hydrate a NHL Lime? If so, What # of NHL did you use?

Thanks!

Bill

---
Bill Wright, L.Ac., DNBAO

Wright Acupuncture and Massage

251 Auburn Ravine Rd., Ste. # 205

Auburn, CA 95603

530-886-8927

http://www.auburnacupuncture.net

This e-mail and any attachment is a private communication and may be
confidential and/or legally privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient, do not read, copy, use it or disclose it to others. Please
notify the sender of the delivery error and then delete it and any
attachments from your system. Thank you.

On 2016-03-21 14:38, Graeme North wrote:

> I have successfully embedded tiles into or over cob floors or benches with both a cob mix and with a lime mortar (1 lime putty to 3 sand) using either lime or earth grout.
> My inclination would be to use lime as the bed in higher traffic areas.
> Definitely no cement screed.
>
> cheers
>
> Graeme
> Graeme North Architects
> 49 Matthew Road
> RD1
> Warkworth 0981
> New Zealand
> tel/fax +64 (0)9 4259305
>
> www.ecodesign.co.nz [1]
>
> On 22/03/2016, at 10:18 AM, "Bill Wright, L.Ac., DNBAO" <bill at auburnacupuncture.net> wrote:
> Jill Hogan: Was your lime render under tile 100% lime? Or did you have any sand in it? Thanks... Bill --- Bill Wright, L.Ac., DNBAO Wright Acupuncture and Massage 251 Auburn Ravine Rd., Ste. # 205 Auburn, CA 95603 530-886-8927 http://www.auburnacupuncture.net [2] This e-mail and any attachment is a private communication and may be confidential and/or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, copy, use it or disclose it to others. Please notify the sender of the delivery error and then delete it and any attachments from your system. Thank you. On 2016-03-21 06:34, Jill Hogan wrote: We put down a lime render scree like you would a cement one and then laid the tiles grouting them with lime rather than cement or clay.It is 10 years down the line and the floor looks great. On 2016/03/21 03:21 PM, Pavel Velikodvorsky wrote: Hello everyone! I have a subfloor made of cob and want to lay tiles over it. Does anyone have an experience on the matter? The first
thing I thought I will pour some concrete sublayer over existing cobfloor, to leveling and straighten it. But then I've read Ziggi's ( theyearofmud.com) post on how he tiled his earthen floor using clay as adhesive. And I thought, maybe that is the way? What do yoy guys think? Basically, will it stay in place? :) Also plan to ask Ziggi. Take care, Pasha _______________________________________________ Coblist mailing list Coblist at deatech.com http://www.deatech.com/mailman/listinfo/coblist [3] [1 [3]] -- McGregor Alternative Technology McGregor Alternative Technology Center "MAT" Jill Hogan P.O. Box 365 McGregor 6708 023 625 1533 jill.hogan at mat.org.za www.mat.org.za [4] [2 [4]] <http://www.mat.org.za/ [5] [3 [5]]> We need to be the change we wish to see in the world - "Mohandas Ghandi" McGregor Alternative Technology If you do not wish to receive mail from us, please email unsubscribe in your subject. --- This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
[2] http://www.mat.org.za [4] [3] http://www.mat.org.za/ [5] [4]