[Cob] Cob house in Australia

Rhys Dyer rhys_dyer at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 17 21:58:20 CST 2016

This message is mostly for Shannon, but others may well be interested...

Hi Shannon,

I doubt you'd remember me, but I was an attendee on your cob course in Bendigo, Victoria, in 2007. I have just about finished the house I built based on the experience I gained there in working on Regina's studio, so I have included a picture of my place for your interest: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208383201520673&set=pb.1324453818.-2207520000.1482033375.&type=3&theater

It's not quite as minimalist as I would have preferred (due to regulatory requirements there is a concrete slab, steel rafters roof structure, roof insulation of high tech and therefore high energy embodiment), but it is 12V solar powered, relies on rain for water and has a composting toilet. No wires in and no pipes out, although I do have LPG for cooking.

It's 5 metres in internal diameter, half loft bedroom upstairs (reached by spiral stairs), and a quadrant of the lower floor forms the shower room.

It's delightfully cool so far in summer - we had 38 C degrees outside two days ago in blazing sunshine and the house remained at a balmy 24 degrees. In winter it never went below 12C, even though there was no heating and at night the temperature dropped to -4 at times and in the daytime I had the main windows open whilst I was working inside.

It's been very hard work (four years of it, solo!), but I'm pleased with the result - if you're ever over this way again, feel free to drop in to take a look.

Rhys