[Cob] Lime Render - FAILURE

Shannon Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Mon Feb 20 02:54:21 CST 2017

On Fri, 17 Feb 2017, Bill Wright wrote:

[snip]
> Thanks for any solutions you might offer. Not the least of which might
> be to advise me regarding a clear coating you might recommend that I
> could coat over this existing exterior wall to make it water resistant.
> Any/all comments appreciated from your experience and perspective.
[snip]

I would be very wary of any coating over your wall which might tend to
waterproof it. There is a long history (in all building techniques -
bale, adobe, cob, wood frame, metal frame, brick, ...) of waterproofing
causing more damage than it prevents. Water (via condensation of water
vapor) will get into your wall! The question is whether or not it can
easily get out before it causes damage.

Shannon C. Dealy               |       DeaTech Research Inc.
dealy at deatech.com              | Biotechnology Development Services
Telephone USA: +1 541-929-4089 |      USA and the Netherlands
Netherlands:   +31 85 208 5570 |          www.deatech.com