[Cob] Lime Render - FAILURE

Bill Wright bill at auburnacupuncture.net
Wed Feb 22 21:18:38 CST 2017

Hi All,

Please refer to Shannon's email (included here - below this email), and to this. . .

Which is a response from her regarding the idea of using a, "coating" over the lime,

FROM SHANNON:
". . .I would be very wary of any coating over your wall which might tend to waterproof it. There is a long history (in all building techniques - bale, adobe, cob, wood frame, metal frame, brick, ...) of waterproofing causing more damage than it prevents. Water (via condensation of water vapor) will get into your wall! The question is whether or not it can easily get out before it causes damage."

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2657yta5fpeyec2/Photo%20Feb%2021%2C%208%2000%2037%20AM.jpg?dl=0

DISCUSSION OF PHOTO:
You can see in the photo that the lime-containing render is getting saturated with the water from rains blowing onto the building where the prevailing winds are doing their work. IS THIS PROOF that the mechanism at play here is water making its way through the lime-containing render into the earthen brown coat below, and the swelling action of the deeper middle layer cracking the lime-containing outer render? It appears that way to me.

The question I'm sitting with. . . Will lime-putty in the cracks, and a lime wash on top of that be the best fix?

The other potential idea on the table is to take the above step a step further. . .
That is to put a TOP COAT (of some type) over the lime-containing render after we fill cracks, and lime wash the building.

Onwards and thanks!
Bill

Bill Wright, L.Ac., DNBAO
Wright Acupuncture and Massage
251 Auburn Ravine Rd., Ste. #205
Auburn, CA 95603
530-886-8927
"There is no path to healing, healing is the path"