[Cob] Cob in the cold, with bears

Iona Fairlight Hawken ionahawken at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 12:00:16 CDT 2017

Bill--
Wow thank you for taking the time to write to me. I am trying to understand how the cob and bales connect. Do you plaster the cob into the bales or build the cob up from the ground the usual way? How does the cob connect to the bales? How thick is the cob in bale-cob?

Would you consider sharing photos of the process of your bale-cob building so I can understand visually the connections and also the reciprocal roof?

I want it to be round so that's perfect.

Also, I love light but am wondering how to build a cob-bale house with lots of Windows (and without bears breaking them)...

I never knew about a rocket mass heater! Looks ideal for a cold climate. What about radiant heating integrated into the whole house (and into the cob walls)? Does anyone do that?

Best
Iona