Cob wall"skylights"

Will Firstbrook WCB of BC wfirstbr at msmail.wcb.bc.ca
Thu Sep 18 14:28:23 CDT 1997

Hi Jody,

Ianto Evans put in a heart shaped window into his house after the wall
was dry. He said he just wet the cob and carved out the pattern he
desired with a machete. He cobed in some glass and then applied
finishing plaster around the area to make it smooth again. I doubt you
would need to put any reinforcing or keystone over an 8" opening in cob.
Cob is very strong once dry. Also round openings should be inherently
stronger anyway than square window openings.

You can see the window in the pictures area of the Cob Cottage web site
http://www.deatech.com/cobcottage.

Regards,
Will