Cob: Barn conversion

Jeanne Leimkuhler jleim at mail.bloomington.in.us
Sun Sep 9 12:01:05 CDT 2001

Chris wrote:

>I'm considering converting my barn to a home using cob walls on the
>interior of the existing exterior barn walls.  Is this a stupid idea?
>The barn is somewhat old, but the structural beams appear to be in
>good shape.  Would there be a problem with placing the cob right
>next to the wood?
>Maybe cob is not the way to go, I just want to use natural
>materials.  Some other method may be more insulative, as well.
>I would appreciate any ideas.
>thx,
>Zon from Kansas

Chris,
Not to discourage you from cob, but you might consider slip-straw if
you already have existing walls. I am planning to do this to an
existing barn. Slip-straw is loose straw coated in a clay slip. You
would then build forms on the inside between studs and fill the gap
with the slip-straw, tamping it down as you go. You can finish it
with a mud plaster. You could also use cob where you wanted a more
organic aesthetic.

For more information see Robert Laporte's book:
MoosePrints, a Holistic Home Building Guide
Available from Natural House Building Center  R.R. 1, Box 115F.
Fairfield, Iowa  52556

You can probably get this from dirtcheapbuilders.com, as well.

Jeanne