Cob: Grandson's playhouse

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 27 17:49:47 CDT 2002

Melanie Kleiner asked about building with her toddler grandson.

There are cob houses EVERYWHERE, from Yemen to the arctic circle, according
to Ianto Evans' (et al) book.

I can't speak to a toddler being the other builder.

But at least up in North-East Iowa, you do have patches of good clay.  I can
remember collecting buckets of what I think made pretty good stoneware with
my mom, when we were up visiting her sisters one summer.

Foundation (feet) and roof (hat) might be a lot more work than the cob.

But they might be "normal" enough to get the rest of the family involved.