Cob: Workshops 2003

Myra Bonhage-Hale lapaix at iolinc.net
Thu Jan 2 14:45:36 CST 2003

Hi, here is the schedule some of you asked for earlier.  As you can see, we are going ahead with the cob workshops albeit we are a bunch of rank amateurs.  If any of the experts out there are willing to help tutor our group, I would be quite willing to work out a plan of payment with you.  Just let me know.  I have apprentices applying who have experience with cobbing in West Africa, architecture in Japan and others who are interested in learning to cob- most of those have degrees in environmental science or environmental education.  Nothing is definite yet about the apprentices due to some work to be done to obtain their  VISAS.
Apprenticeship informatin can be found on the ATTRA web site.

La Paix Herb Farm in Alum Bridge, West Virginia announces the workshop schedule for 2003.  The Natural Building Workshops are co-sponsored by  Sustainable Development for West Virginia.  For more information on La Paix and the Sustainable Development for West Virginia, please visit www.lapaixherbaljourney.com and www.sustainabledevelopmentforwv.com.
A separate website entitled La Paix Herb Farm Products and Workshops will be available soon with a shopping cart and registration on line.

Saturday, April 19th, 2003:  Natural Building #1:  Building Your Natural Home #1, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. with Complimentary Lunch.  $25.  Scholarships available.  Introduction to Building a Cob Home.  Slide Show and Tour.  A group of rank amatuers will consolidate their knowledge in a panel.  If it is warm enough, we will make cob (a mixture of sand, clay, mud and straw) and work on a cob bench.  For more information on building with cob, see. www.deatech.com/cobcottage.
Saturday, April 26th, 2003:  Propagation of Lavender, Cultivation and Harvesting.  Essential Oil Distillation.  10 a.m. to 4 p.m. with Complimentary Lunch.  $55.  We will make cuttings and demonstrate making lavender plugs - bring 5 containers (3" pots) filled with potting soil.  Cultivation and harvesting of your lavender will be discussed and a demonstration of distillation of dried lavender will be conducted.  Plugs of Seal and Grosso lavender already started will be available for sale.  Plugs will be ready to go into the garden by mid June.  this is part of the West Virginia Essential Oil Distillery Project.  Lavender Grower Network members will also attend.
Saturday, May 17th, 2003:  Let's Celebrate Basil!  Propagation of Culinary Herbs, Cultivation and Uses.10 a.m. to 4 p.m. with Complimentary Lunch: $55.  We will take cuttings of Greek oregano, thyme, rosemary and mints, seed basil and sage.  Bring six containers filled with potting soil to take your cuttings and seedings home with you.  The Complimentary Lunch will feature basil, Greek oregano, thyme, Rosemary and mints.
Saturday, May 24th and Sunday, May 25th, 2003: Natural Home Building #2: 10 to 4 p.m. with Complimentary Meals & Camping:  $75.  (Scholarships Available).  We will finish cobbing a bench started in the Fall of 2002.  Learn the basics of cobbing.  A workshop on rammed earth tires as foundations will be the focus on Sunday with Mark English, Wis'ln Wheels.
Saturday, June 14th, 2003:  Identifying Medicinal Herbs, Making Salves and Tinctures: with complimentary lunch.  $55.  We will tour all the gardens and take a wood and field walk to identify medicinal herbs, discuss their uses and make a salve and a tincture to take home with you.  The Complimentary Lunch will feature organically grown produce and herbs.
Saturday, June 21st and Sunday, June 22nd, 2003:  Natural Home Building #3: 10 to 4 p.m. both days with Complimentary Meals and Camping:  $75.  (Scholarships Available.) Foundation and Drainage Needs for a Cob Building.  We will view the model of the cob apprentice building and plan the foundation and drainage for the site.  Options in building materials for the foundation will be discussed and illustrated.  Some work will begin on the drainage ditch and foundation.
Saturday, July 12th, 2003:  Lavender Fair at La Paix.  10 to 4 p.m.  Admission:  $5.per person, $10.per family.  The First West Virginia Lavender Fairl!  See La Paix's over 1000 lavender plants, the essential oil distillery, savor lavender chicken, ice cream and other treats.  Music, Crafts and tours of the gardens.  Slide Show on Growing Lavender.
Sunday, July 13th, 2003:  Identifying Edible Wild Mushrooms and Savoring Wild Edible Recipes. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.:  $55. Complimentary Lunch.   Mark English and others will lead us through the gardens, fields and woods of La Paix to find and identify edible mushrooms such as golden chanterelles, oyster, and old man.  Foraging ethically, we will gather some edible mushrooms to savor in a luncheon menu featuring mushrooms and herbs from La Paix.
Saturday, July 19th and Sunday, July 20th, 2003: Natural Home Building #4:  10 a.m. to 4 p.m. both days:  Complimentary Meals  & Camping:  $75.  (Scholarships Available).  With the foundation built, and a temporary roof in place, the real task of learning to make and apply cob will take place this weekend.  Participate in building walls, placement of windows and doors.
Saturday, August 9th, 2003:  Peace Day at La Paix Herb Farm - Building Sanctuary in Your Garden.  10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Complimentary Lunch:  $55.  The Silver Labyrinth, the Feng Shui Garden, lavender plantings and woods of La Paix will be featured in this day devoted to finding peace in your life.  Learn how to make a sanctuary in your garden and in your home.  Walk the labyrinth, meditate in the woods, learn how to listen to nature.  The luncheon will include herbal teas which lessen anxiety and stress.
Saturday, August 16th, 2003:  Natural Home Building #5:  10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Complimentary Lunch:  $25.  Overview and Summary with tour of the completed Cob apprentice building at La Paix.  Discussion and illustration of other Green Building materials, natural building techniques.

To register, just call (304) 269-7681, go to the website (to be announced) or email me at lapaix at iolinc.net.  Namaste.  Myra

-------------- next part --------------
<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hi, here is the schedule some of you asked for
earlier.  As you can see, we are going ahead with the cob workshops albeit
we are a bunch of rank amateurs.  If any of the experts out there are
willing to help tutor our group, I would be quite willing to work out a plan of
payment with you.  Just let me know.  I have apprentices applying who
have experience with cobbing in West Africa, architecture in Japan and others
who are interested in learning to cob- most of those have degrees in
environmental science or environmental education.  Nothing is definite yet
about the apprentices due to some work to be done to obtain their
VISAS.  </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>Apprenticeship informatin can be found on the ATTRA web site.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>La Paix Herb Farm in Alum Bridge, West Virginia
announces the workshop schedule for 2003.  The Natural Building Workshops
are co-sponsored by  Sustainable Development for West Virginia.  For
more information on La Paix and the Sustainable Development for West Virginia,
please visit <A
href="http://www.lapaixherbaljourney.com">www.lapaixherbaljourney.com</A> and <A
href="http://www.sustainabledevelopmentforwv.com">www.sustainabledevelopmentforwv.com</A>.
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>A separate website entitled La Paix Herb Farm
Products and Workshops will be available soon with a shopping cart and
registration on line.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>
<STRONG><EM>Natural Building #1:  Building Your Natural Home
#1</EM>,</STRONG> 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. with Complimentary Lunch.  $25.
Scholarships available.  Introduction to Building a Cob Home.  Slide
Show and Tour.  A group of rank amatuers will consolidate their knowledge
in a panel.  If it is warm enough, we will make cob (a mixture of sand,
clay, mud and straw) and work on a cob bench.  For more information on
building with cob, see. <A
href="http://www.deatech.com/cobcottage">www.deatech.com/cobcottage</A>.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><U>Saturday, April 26th, 2003: </U>
<EM><STRONG>Propagation of Lavender, Cultivation and Harvesting.  Essential
Oil Distillation</STRONG></EM>.  10 a.m. to 4 p.m. with Complimentary
Lunch.  $55.  We will make cuttings and demonstrate making lavender
plugs - bring 5 containers (3" pots) filled with potting soil.  Cultivation
and harvesting of your lavender will be discussed and a demonstration of
distillation of dried lavender will be conducted.  Plugs of Seal and Grosso
lavender already started will be available for sale.  Plugs will be ready
to go into the garden by mid June.  this is part of the West Virginia
Essential Oil Distillery Project.  Lavender Grower Network members will
also attend.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><U>Saturday, May 17th, 2003:</U> <EM>
<STRONG>Let's Celebrate Basil!  Propagation of Culinary Herbs, Cultivation
and Uses</STRONG>.</EM>10 a.m. to 4 p.m. with Complimentary Lunch: $55.  We
will take cuttings of Greek oregano, thyme, rosemary and mints, seed basil and
sage.  Bring six containers filled with potting soil to take your cuttings
and seedings home with you.  The Complimentary Lunch will feature basil,
Greek oregano, thyme, Rosemary and mints.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><U>Saturday, May 24th and Sunday, May 25th, 2003:
</U><EM><STRONG>Natural Home Building #2:</STRONG> </EM>10 to 4 p.m. with
Complimentary Meals & Camping:  $75.  (Scholarships
Available).  We will finish cobbing a bench started in the Fall of
2002.  Learn the basics of cobbing.  A workshop on rammed earth tires
as foundations will be the focus on Sunday with Mark English, Wis'ln
Wheels.  </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><U>Saturday, June 14th, 2003:</U>
<EM><STRONG>Identifying Medicinal Herbs, Making Salves and
Tinctures</STRONG>:</EM> with complimentary lunch<EM>.</EM>
 $55.  We will tour all the gardens and take a wood and field walk to
identify medicinal herbs, discuss their uses and make a salve and a tincture to
take home with you.  The Complimentary Lunch will feature organically grown
produce and herbs.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><U>Saturday, June 21st and Sunday, June 22nd,
2003:  </U><EM><STRONG>Natural Home Building #3:</STRONG></EM> 10 to 4 p.m.
both days with Complimentary Meals and Camping:  $75.  (Scholarships
Available.) Foundation and Drainage Needs for a Cob Building.  We will view
the model of the cob apprentice building and plan the foundation and drainage
for the site.  Options in building materials for the foundation will be
discussed and illustrated.  Some work will begin on the drainage ditch and
foundation.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><U>Saturday, July 12th, 2003:</U><STRONG><EM>
Lavender Fair at La Paix.  </EM></STRONG>10 to 4 p.m.
Admission:  $5.per person, $10.per family.  The First West Virginia
Lavender Fairl!  See La Paix's over 1000 lavender plants, the essential oil
distillery, savor lavender chicken, ice cream and other treats.  Music,
Crafts and tours of the gardens.  Slide Show on Growing Lavender.
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><U>Sunday, July 13th, 2003:</U><EM>
<STRONG>Identifying Edible Wild Mushrooms and Savoring Wild Edible Recipes.
</STRONG></EM>10 a.m. to 4 p.m.:  $55. Complimentary Lunch.
 Mark English and others will lead us through the gardens, fields and woods
of La Paix to find and identify edible mushrooms such as golden chanterelles,
oyster, and old man.  Foraging ethically, we will gather some edible
mushrooms to savor in a luncheon menu featuring mushrooms and herbs from La
Paix.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><U>Saturday, July 19th and Sunday, July 20th, 2003:
</U><STRONG><EM>Natural Home Building #4:  </EM></STRONG>10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
both days:  Complimentary Meals  & Camping:  $75.
(Scholarships Available).  With the foundation built, and a temporary roof
in place, the real task of learning to make and apply cob will take place this
weekend.  Participate in building walls, placement of windows and
doors. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><U>Saturday, August 9th,
2003:</U><STRONG><EM>  Peace Day at La Paix Herb Farm - Building
Sanctuary in Your Garden.</EM></STRONG>  10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Complimentary Lunch:  $55.  </FONT><FONT face=Arial size=2>The Silver
Labyrinth, the Feng Shui Garden, lavender plantings and woods of La Paix will be
featured in this day devoted to finding peace in your life.  Learn how to
make a sanctuary in your garden and in your home.  Walk the labyrinth,
meditate in the woods, learn how to listen to nature.  The luncheon will
include herbal teas which lessen anxiety and stress.  </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><U>Saturday, August 16th,
2003:</U><STRONG><EM>  Natural Home Building
#5:  </EM></STRONG>10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Complimentary Lunch:
$25.  Overview and Summary with tour of the completed Cob apprentice
building at La Paix.  Discussion and illustration of other Green
Building materials, natural building techniques. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>To register, just call (304) 269-7681, go to the
website (to be announced) or email me at <A
href="mailto:lapaix at iolinc.net">lapaix at iolinc.net</A>.  Namaste.
Myra</FONT>  </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial
size=2><STRONG></STRONG></FONT> </DIV></FONT></DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>