Cob: Re: Use of Forms?

Raduazo at aol.com Raduazo at aol.com
Sun Jan 5 15:22:35 CST 2003

Cement mixers tend to make a mix that is too wet, and unless you have a
really big mixer it makes batches that are too small. I use a cheap 5 HP
rototiller to mine clay and mix it with sand and some times chopped straw. It
works great and allows a much lower water content. If you can mix on a
concrete slab you can move the finished product with a sand shovel. If you
mix on the ground it is a little more difficult to control the mix but still
not a big problem since cob is so forgiving, and move it with a dirt fork.
       By the way if you use a forms you are stuck with flat walls which will
not dry until the forms are removed and your resulting product is called
rammed earth not cob. There is a good book on it by David Easton, but I am
not sure that the end result is worth the cost of the forms, and the
equipment.
Ed